The Cockburn RYDE Program provides young people (16-25 years) who live, work or study in the City of Cockburn with the opportunity to complete their 50 hours of supervised driving with a volunteer driving mentor.
The Cockburn RYDE launch event will take place on 24 October 2017. The program will be officially open for business on 25 October.
How do I get involved?
If you want to get involved as a participant first see whether you fit the following criteria:
- 16-25 years old
- Live, work or study in the City of Cockburn
- Have your learners permit.If you fit the criteria then get in contact with a suitable RYDE Provider and make an appointment to meet with a support worker. Only a RYDE Provider can set you up as a participant of the program.A list of RYDE Providers will be available at the top of this page closer to the launch of the program.
How much does it cost?
Participants are required to cover the cost of a compulsory driving assessment with our partnered driving school before they start the RYDE program regardless of previous experience. This can only be done once you’ve met with a RYDE Provider.
The assessment costs $60 and evaluates whether participants possess skills for basic vehicle operation, an understanding of road rules and, generally do not pose a significant risk to other road users or the volunteer driving mentors who may accompany them during driving sessions.
Once you pass the assessment you can begin RYDE driving sessions at a cost of $15 for a 90 minute session. Sessions are paid for using credit codes bought through the RYDE website with Paypal, a credit card or debit card.
What will I need to bring when I sign up?
Once you’ve contacted a RYDE Provider and set up a meeting with a RYDE Support Worker you will need to take a few things with you before you can be set up as a RYDE participant. Please ensure you have the following information with you when you sign up:
- Learners permit number
- Mobile number
- Working email address
- If under 18 years some RYDE Providers will also need a completed parent/guardian consent form (check with your RYDE Support Worker)
Where will RYDE driving sessions take place?
The Cockburn Youth Centre, 25 Wentworth Parade, Success is the start and end location for each driving session. Volunteer driving mentors will take participants driving in the City’s suburbs and surrounding areas. The sessions are a chance to practice driving and complete the required 50 hours of supervised driving rather than being a formal lesson where you are taught new skills each time. Mentors may show you different driving skills like parking and negotiating roundabouts however their primary focus is building up participant’s confidence and hours on the road.
How do I become a volunteer driving mentor?
To be eligible to become a volunteer driving mentor you must fit the following criteria:
- 21 years or older
- Hold a current C class drivers licence for four or more years continuously
- Current Working With Children card (or willing to obtain one)
- Current National Police Check (or willing to obtain one)
Applications are open all year round. Just complete the online application form.
Full training is provided and associated costs covered.
Suitable applicants will be required to attend an interview then:
- complete a driving session with our partnered driving school
- complete an online induction
- attend an evening induction session.
More information and contact
Please contact the Youth Development Officer for more information about the Cockburn RYDE Program on 08 9411 3884 or email email@example.com